Our History

In 1923, Robert Dancy and Irvin Brown saw a need for a church in their own community and began having services in the home of Deacon Irvin Brown.

Original members of Macedonia Baptist Church consisted of Robert Dancey, Irwin Brown, Jenkins Smith, Earl Strait, Joe McKinney, and their families.

Fannie Strait organized Sunday school and Janice Brown served as the first church secretary. The church was officially established in 1925 by Rev. J.E. Maddox, Rev. R. Dancy and Rev. H. Strait. Rev. Sights, Moderator of the Southwest Central Association, presided over the service.

In that same year, Wright Land Company deeded two acres of land to the church to build a church and school building. 

Several ministers served as pastor of MBC to include but not limited to: Rev. Jenkins (1927); Rev. Parker (1928-1933); Rev. H. B. Strait (1934-1935).

In 1942, Rev. M. A. Callies was called to pastor MBC.  Under his leadership, membership continued to grow and various auxiliaries and building projects were put into operation.

Upon the passing of Rev. Callies, Deacon Henry Thomas, one of the first deacons, led services and obtain the assistance of various ministers to deliver the Word of God.

In 1949, Rev. Bennie Blair heard the “Macedonia cry” and became the pastor. Under Rev. Blair’s leadership, the church continued to grow. In just a few years’ time, church membership had grown to over three hundred members. The church name was changed from Macedonia Baptist Church to Greater Macedonia Baptist Church.

In 1963 a new church was built with a cafeteria and an indoor baptism pool.

Upon the death of Rev. Blair (May 1976), Rev. George Patterson was called to Greater Macedonia Baptist Church in December 1976. During his tenure as overseer, B.T.U. and evening services were held every Sunday.?

In 1979, Reverend Prince Rayson was called to pastor. Under Rev. Rayson’s leadership the following improvements were made: new church furniture was purchased, a fellowship hall added, a paved parking lot, a church bus, a set of drums purchased, three choirs established, and a church library added.

With the failing health of Rev. Rayson, Rev. Anthony Smallwood served as the temporary pastor to assist with services.

When Rev. Rayson (Feb 1992) passed away, Rev. Isaac V. Alfred, Jr. returned home and pastored the ever growing flock.

To accommodate the growing congregation a morning service was added, the sanctuary was enlarged, and classrooms were added.

In the summer of 1998, an electrical fire destroyed the Greater Macedonia Baptist Church building, but not the church spirit. In December 1999, “The Church that God Planned” was completed and a new address was given. Greater Macedonia Baptist Church, 5510 W. Sam Houston Parkway North, Houston, Texas 77041.

Church services were initially held in the multi-purpose center, until the congregation was blessed to march into the sanctuary in the summer of 2000.

The development of new programs, such as Children’s Church, AWANA, Church nursery, Drama Ministry, the “Macedonia Call” newsletter, and the Women and Men’s Conferences, increased as the congregation grew and their relationship with God became stronger.

With the retirement of Pastor Alfred in April of 2011, Rev. George Taft was assigned as interim pastor.

Pastor Vincent “Ben” Lewis was installed on November 20, 2011. He has continued the vision and mission of past ministers and has continued to grow the congregation.